Note for Advanced Searching
Below you will find information on the searches built inot the PalSoc website:
The site search, a.k.a Site Search (Simple), can be accessed from the left hand side search box on all pages or from its dedicated page. The search performs a quick and dirty pattern matching on the web pages (titles and introductory text only) and monographs (title and authors only).
Web Page Search:
Information coming soon...
- You do not have to enter a whole word into Title. Example: entering 'brach' will find brachiopod, Brachiopoda, Brachiosaurus etc
- You do not have to enter a whole word into Abstract. Example: entering 'brach' will find brachiopod, Brachiopoda, Brachiosaurus etc.
- Author searches also return articles where the name supplied is part of a longer name. Example: entering 'Harris' will find articles by Harris, Harrisson, etc.
- Searches are case-insensitive in all fields. Example: entering 'BrACh' in Title will still find brachiopod, Brachiopoda, Brachiosaurus etc.
- The Year field can take ranges and inequalities. Examples 1990-1995; between 1990 and 1995 inclusive. >1990; after 1990. <=1980; 1980 or earlier.
- Use * for wildcard in Title or Authors (wildcards represent any text or no text). Example: entering 'pal*eontolgy' will find all references to 'palaeontolgy' and 'paleontology'.
- Searches ignore accented characters in authors names. Example 'ho*' in Authors will find both Högström and House
- Use 'Boolean' expressions in Title and/or Abrstract to perform complex searches. Examples:
- Brachiopod & Articulat - find all articles whose title contains both 'Brachiopod' and 'Articulat'. Note that the latte will find both 'articulate' and 'articulata'.
- Brachiopod + Articulat - find all articles whose title contains either 'Brachiopod' or 'Articulat' (or both). This will return references to articulate crinoids as well as brachiopods.
- jurassic & (fish + crocod) - find all articles whose title contains 'Jurassic' and also either 'fish' or 'crocod'
- (quaternary + tertiary + cene) & (cat + felid) - find all articles referring to either cats (or felids) and either Tertiary, Quaternary or anything containing 'cene'